Thursday, October 26, 2006

Salerno Nights to Terwa Days

I have been out of comms for a few weeks, some of this is my fault and some is not. The majority of the last three weeks was spent in Salerno. During that time I was able to watch the whole cycle of the moon. With no light pollution, the nights were pretty awesome, as I have mentioned before. For almost two weeks everynight was like watching an old western movie, where they used a filter to pretend that it was nighttime. Moonshadows were not uncommon and stretched through most of the night.

As most of you know when I get bored, I have a slight tendency to spend some money. Apparently no exception is made for being in war. I bought a rug, it is an afghan hand made wool rug and is bigger than the space that I had intended it for. I will have a picture of it shortly. Interestingly enough the pattern is really sortof southwestern, which is typical of afghan rugs. I think this is the only one that I will buy, but I may buy a smaller Chinese silk rug. Who ever thought that I would be buying rugs?

For the last week and a half, I have been in Waza Kwah. My stay here is being made much shorter than I could have hoped. I went out to two smaller fire bases, Terwa and Doa China, and was luckily only at each for a short time. As most of my travels have been, I was lucky in that the trips to and fro were made closer together. I am not sure if there was a real reason, or if the fire base commanders just hated having someone around that out ranked them.

I do enjoy visiting Waza Kwah, there is a small group of Navy guys that I can hang out with and watch some movies. They are good guys and also have an important mission here, though it is different than my own.

I got my new hard drive, of course it arrived in Salerno the day after I left. I expect that the next blog will be nothing but pictures. . . assuming all goes well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man - the class just isn't the same without you!!! Come on home - but in the meantime, send us your mailing address so we can send you a package (physical address is best for Fed Ex...otherwise just confirm the Salerno APO address)

Stay safe!!!!

PS - Larry Ring says your assignment is long overdue...he wants to see you in his office as soon as you get back!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bring on the pictures my friend!!!! i am in Bagram and I hope to see you while i am in country.
besides, we have to go rug shopping...

-chad
www.chadhuntphotography.com

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home