Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The semi-truck of the sky

So, I finally got to Salerno. . .Yeah!!! Let the celebration begin, I can finally start to do my job. The flight here was interesting, and included a ride in my 2nd Military aircraft ever. The C-130 is one of the oldest airframes still in use, and is considered by me as the semi truck of the sky, carrying cargo and (sometimes) people to their destination.

The flight left at dusk. As I buckled into my jumpseat, which was located in the center of plane facing out, I realized that I had never even seen a buckle design like the one in front of me. I hesitantly attempted several configurations to get the buckle on, and finally one of the Staff Sergeants looked at me and said, "That's it, now just push it down till it snaps." And the first feat was accomplished.

I started to read my book, as I sat there holding my M-16 against the forward bulkhead, and the plane started to taxi. The plane was moving when one of the flight crew shut the rear cargo door. The same Staff Sergeant turned the lights from white to green. Figuring that I would have to stop reading, I was happy to continue under the glow of the green light. My happiness soon turned to sadness as the combination of riding sideways, feeling every bump on the runway, and little air circulation culminated as an uneasiness in my belly. So, I did what every grown man should do. . . I put away the book and watched the world drive by through the porthole in left side of the plane. Yet another mistake, as it turns out, because the roar of the engines picked up as the C-130 rolled down the jetway and took flight, immediately making a hard bank. The world outside my porthole was no longer normal, but rather was ground moving away from the plane at a high rate of speed. Further exacerbating the uneasiness in my tummy.

I got out by iPod and unwound my headphones (Shure earbuds. . .sound suppressing, the best $100 I've ever spent) and fell into the sound of Maroon 5. Closing my eyes momentarily, I leaned against the parachute hanging on the forward bulkhead next to me. When the plane stabilized out, I opened my eyes and found the eary green light inside the plane giving way to the pink hues of the sunset on the clouds outside my (now) favorite porthole. As the darkness took over, I could see lightning in the distance. (At least I hope it was lightning and not anti aircraft fire)

The plane continued along its course, bobbing and weaving like we were playing football, and performed a perfect carrier landing in the darkness. I couldn't see the carrier anywhere, but am sure that is where we landed, because I have never felt a plane intentionally land that hard. The night outside the plane was still pitch black. After the cargo was unloaded the passengers, 12 total including myself, exited the plane. I nearly fell and cracked my bottom at my first step on the cargo ramp. The runway was gravel, and all I could see was a small blue light in front of me, so I followed it hoping not to hit a sinkhole.

Having been told about the night lighting policy, I brought along my Gerber headlamp and flicked on the green light. I followed the others to the Salerno PAX Terminal, a small building with a wrap around porch that looked like a stage coach stop from the old west. Again the only visible light was from cigarettes and the occasional opening of the front door. Having signed in, I waited out front for my four seabags, one rucksack, and a ride to my new bed.

The night sky here is amazing. Having no light pollution at night, the number of stars visible are just amazing. I will send a picture when I get a chance.

My new home is a tent, 30 Ft long by 15 Ft wide. It houses 6 people with six cots and six wood bookstands. The floor is wood, and a small alcove prevents significant dust from entering the tent. My first full day here was interesting as I was shown around the base, and had dinner with some of the guys I went through my training with. The day was topped of by the first significant rainfall I have seen since leaving Norfolk in July. Apparently there is a lot of that here, a fact that actually makes me a little bit happy. After all, I did live in Seattle for several years, I grew to like the rain.

That is all for now, there is more to come at some unspecified time. Perhaps I will even include some pictures, if I ever get my computer working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home