Sunday, August 27, 2006

Its been a long time


Well this week has passed rather uneventfully and slowly. I have been unable to update this blog due to some severe computer difficulties (No, I did not throw it across Afghanistan, though I want to right now). I am actually coming to you live from a computer in a friend's B-Hut (I don't know what that actually stands for, but it is a wooden structure that has been compartmentalized into eight individual living quarters). The place is cozy, but also small.

This week saw the passing of my 10th anniversary in the Navy. Sadly, my pay raise is not as impressive as it once was, but it is a raise none the less. With the anniversary came a small celebration on my part. I prepared for the day by waiting at the Passenger Terminal, where I found out once again that I did not make a flight to Salerno, and then commenced celebrating by hitting the rack. They call it the hooch in the Army, whatever that is referring to. I proceeded to sleep for a good bit of time, until the next roll call at the Passenger terminal, where I waited with great determination.

Don't get me wrong, there was definitely some reminiscing throughout the day. I remembered back to the day that I left for bootcamp. Having gone to the Red Lion Inn in Downtown Portland, I was met for dinner by Rachel (we went to Red Robin I think) and then I returned to my room to wait for the plane ride the next day. I arrived at Boot late that night, to wait in a hallway, where I met my would-be drill instructor, he was nice and asked questions. The one of note to me was, "Are you good with your hands?" To which I replied, "That depends on how you mean." Thinking this an insufficient answer (now knowing it to be the best answer that an Economist would give) I worried about it for about a day. There were many such stories roaming through my head that day, but that one stuck out the most to me.

Another debacle that I encountered this week was my focus to leave Bagram and travel to Salerno, my new home. In preparation I sent out an email giving everyone my new address, and I packed my bags. Having taken all of my bags, including 4 seabags, a rucksack (that's Army for backpack and I don't know why they don't just say backpack), my riflecase and folding chair (I bought this for $7 it is pretty much garbage, but I will take it with me till it falls apart). I have been to the airport like this about four times, which was two too many, and have been emptyhanded too many times to count. I was about to get on a plane last night (in fact, I had the C-130 clearly in my sights through the bus window), when the driver said that the flight was cancelled, and subsequently turned the bus around. I took my small car full of gear and called my firend, Matt (another submarine officer doing the same thing I am) who came (laughing) to get me from the terminal.

I have to also say that the Girl Scouts either had a bad year selling cookies, or got a big contract with the Gov't. Earlier in the week I saw a flatbed truck come dring up with four pallets of girlscout cookies. I have seen them at every meal in the galleys. Sadly, I believe that everyone knows the intoxicating effects of Thin Mints. . . they are the Devil, but man they are good. In fact, I don't really want to buy girl scout cookies for the next decade (though I probably will).

Having an extra day in Bagram to take in the sights, because the last 21 were not enough, Matt, Mike and I went to the bazaar (this is a weekly gathering of local merchants to pawn their wares) I have mentioned this earlier, but must reinterate that the local wares bare a striking resemblance to bootlegged DVDs, blackpowder rifles, rugs and jewelry (with a smattering of FROLEXes in the mix). Among these honest and dedicated merchants - you shouldn't laugh some of them might be honest - stands a man and his camel. He is at every bazaar, and earlier one of the other guys panned his video camera across this camel, deeply offending the owner, who quickly required $6. Today, my friend Matt decided was the day to get a picture with this camel, and that is the picture seen in today's blog.

That was my week, though not exciting, it offered an array of frustration and laughter. I am trying to post more regularly, but am unsure when I will up next. Till then, just think of the camel, and wonder what would happen if someone put a bunch of camels on a plane? I think that Samuel L Jackson might have to put that plot down too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home